Pattern: Style 2240 (1978), View 2
Fabric: About 2 metres of cream coloured curtain fabric
I really do not know what people are supposed to do in photos. It seems I just grab my hemline and hang on for dear life. I also either look down so all you can see is hair or contort my face in ways that can only be described as ‘pouting’. Its not like I mean to, really. I just honestly don’t know what to do with it other than smile or snarl. And a photographer literally had to teach me to smile when I was 10 (apparently twitching my lips and baring my teeth didn’t count, who knew?). Anyway, I digress, who cares about my issues with appropriate photo behaviour, this dress is where this post is at yo.
You know what the best thing about vintage patterns is? You don’t need to trace off the multiple sizing’s line. God how I LOATHE to trace sizing lines, which I inevitably confuse and instead I end up with a mish mash of shapes that only slightly resemble their intended sizing’s shape. However they are rather good if you’re making something for someone else. Not that I’d ever be that selfless ; ).
Yes, I am falling off the tree
This pattern was my Nan’s, as was the fabric. Yay for stash busting. The buttons I bought from an op shop last year. These buttons are so pretty! I have one left which is a bit annoying, not enough to do matching cuffs, and in an attempt to at least look like a grownup, I’m giving the miss-matched buttons look a miss. So it will probably live in my stash lonely and forlorn until I eventually attach it to a brooch or something. The aim here is to feel as guilty as possible about the button until I use it. I would go so far as to ban myself from buying more buttons but COME ON LETS BE REALISTIC.
I made up view 2, which has pintucks on the front, flared sleeves and button loop closures. This was my first time doing pintucks and I actually pinned the damn things on the wrong side the first time I started doing them. rrRRRrr. This was also my first time at (correctly) installing a ‘pointed open collar’. This pattern called for quite a bit of handsewing, which I found unnecessary. I think that maybe the sleeve would have looked nicer if it had been frenched (done with French seams) instead of machine stitching, then hand turning the raw edge and sewing down. It did however make this a very transportable project, and I was able to finish the sleeves whilst having coffee with my Grandparents. My maternal Grandparents both don’t sew and are always delighted and interested whenever I show them a new project. Secretly I think they’re wondering why I don’t just buy a new dress, but they do always oh and ah over appropriate details so that’s no big deal.
I omitted the ruffled piece on the bottom of this dress, and had to take in the waist seam slightly. I did that by sewing a pleat on the back, and attaching a button on top to make it less noticeable, and sewing some of the gathers down on the front waist. I also had to add in a tiny pleat at the neckline in order to make the collar fit perfectly. The dress is still a bit gapey, I’m instead going to call it ‘whimsical’, which explains why these photos were taken whilst frolicking in a park with a daisy chain in my hair. I did like this pattern, however if I made it again I would probably make the bodice longer and the waist seam smaller.
Happy sewing, have a good day Bry xo